Kiyosu, May 28, 2017: Toyoda Gosei Co., Ltd. is establishing a new plant to meet growing automobile production in India and the expected increase in demand for airbags as stricter safety regulations are adopted.
The new plant is located in the western Indian state of Gujarat. It will be a branch plant of Toyoda Gosei Minda India Private Limited (TGMIN), a subsidiary of Toyoda Gosei. The new Gujarat Plant will begin supplying airbags, weatherstrips and other automotive parts to Suzuki Motor Gujarat (SMG) in the second half of fiscal 2018. The investment in the production facility is 732 million rupees.
Toyoda Gosei views India as an important market, and has been expanding production capacity in the country. After the new plant comes on line, Toyoda Gosei will have a production network of five plant locations in India. Total sales in India were approximately 14 billion JPY in FY2016, and the company aims to expand this 1.4-fold to approximately 20 billion JPY by 2021*1.
*Calculated at 1 rupee = JPY1.6
Outline of Gujarat Plant (New Plant)
- Plant name Toyoda Gosei Minda India Gujarat Plant
- Location Mandal, Gujarat, India (approx. 30 km from SMG)
- Start of production Second half FY2018
- Capital expenditure 732 million rupees
- Products Safety systems (airbags, steering wheels) Weatherstrips etc.
- Land:Approx. 20,000 m2,Buildings:Approx. 8,500 m2
- No. of employees Approx. 330 (predicted as of end of March 2021)
- Sales Approx. 2.5 billion rupees (forecast for FY2021)
Outline of TGMIN (reference)
- Company name Toyoda Gosei Minda India Private Limited
(Headquarters plant) Neemrana, Rajasthan, India
- Established April 2008
- Capital 3.29 billion rupees
- Shareholders Toyoda Gosei Co., Ltd.
Minda Investments Limited
Toyota Tsusho Corp.
- Products Safety systems (airbags, steering wheels)
- No. of employees 1,324 (as of March 2017)
- Sales Approx. 3.9 billion rupees (FY2016 results)
Approx. 8.0 billion rupees (FY2021 forecast)
Established in 1949 and headquartered in Kiyosu, Aichi Prefecture, Japan, Toyoda Gosei is a leading specialty manufacturer of rubber and plastic automotive parts and LEDs. Today, the Toyoda Gosei Group provides a variety of high-quality products internationally, with a network of approximately 100 plants and offices in 18 countries and regions. Through its flexible, integrated global supply system and leading-edge technologies for automotive safety, comfort, and environmental preservation, Toyoda Gosei is a global supplier that aims to deliver the highest levels of quality, innovation, and satisfaction to customers worldwide.